Monday, April 12, 2010

My Pic That Lies


I chose a picture of Tiger Woods hitting a bunker shot while wearing his traditional Sunday red shirt. I chose this picture because I am a golf fan and Tiger's personal life has been among scrutiny as of late, so I wanted to create a picture to depict that. My picture originated from the Los Angeles Times website, latimes.com. I manipulated it by duplicating the background layer, then adjusting all of the saturation so that the top layer was completely black and white. Then took the background eraser tool and erased all of the parts where I wanted color to show, like his shirt to show the red. I then added two text layers, one of a large letter A on his shirt, and another above him saying "Scarlet Letter?". I manipulated the photo in this way, to make the connection between Tiger's traditional Sunday red shirt and the novel The Scarlet Letter, by saying that Tiger Woods is an adulterer. Yes this manipulation is harmful because it adds a negative aspect to Tiger Woods' life that the picture did not depict before hand. The article I researched was about how fake pictures effect the way the general public recieves certain images that lie. My picture fits in with this because the picture did not originally call Tiger Woods an adulterer and now that it is altered the general public will recieve this pictures in a different way.
MLA Citation: Hamblin, T. J. "Fake!" British Medical Journal. BMJ Publishing Group: 1981. Web.

4 comments:

  1. This photoshop picture is well-done technically, but I disagree with the premise. Tiger's personal life is personal and is not our business, but nonetheless it is well-made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buuurn! I approve of this reference to this (kinda awful) literary work. Love how you chose to make a black/white background so the red pops out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture that lies is really well done and has a very interesting message behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your picture, I think it is really funny.

    ReplyDelete